If you are interested in signing up for individual Skype lessons on creative writing, songwriting, or uke instruction, more info here.
For Schools and Libraries
- 30-minute workshops/presentations for a low fee to fit your schedule and budget.
- One special free-skype day each year for 15-minute Q&A sessions only.
- Book ordering with autographs can be arranged.
- Download my Checklist for Author Skypes.
(All include core objectives in Writing)
Reservations for paid skype sessions can be made at anytime. Email me with two preferred dates/times. I’ll invoice only after the session (no payment will be required if technical difficulties prevent the session from taking place).
- The Writing Process. I take students on a journey through the writing process. Where do ideas come from? How do writer’s notebooks, webs, and outlines help? Why is revising so important? 30 minutes. $150.
- Writing a Picture Book. I share the story of how I turned a personal experience (being teased) from my own childhood into a picture book and a musical. I ask participants to try to figure out how and why I changed the facts of my own story to make a better book. I show my writing process by leading a collaborative story-creating exercise on the spot. Teachers receive a writing guide so that they can easily follow up this fun session. 30 minutes. $150.
- The Writer’s Notebook. What is the difference between a writer’s notebook and a diary? I share my childhood diaries and my current writer’s notebooks with students and explain how and why I use my writer’s notebooks in the writing process. $150.
- Creating Character. This is an actual writing workshop with two 30-min sessions. I’ll lead students through an improve exercise to get their imaginations in gear. Then I’ll take them through a pre-writing exercise. Finally I’ll ask them to write a short piece. We’ll reconvene via skype and students will share their work with me. $300.
- Songwriting. I share a rough draft of a song and then the final song and discuss the process, from brainstorming to revision.$150.
- “First Lines” Critique. Students will be extra-motivated to polish a piece of writing if they know an author will read their work. You can schedule a Skype critique session with me anytime throughout the year. First you schedule the Skype, then ask students to work on a piece of writing (fiction or essay), focusing especially on “hooking the reader” with a great opening. Teachers collect the first page from each student and send it to me via good old-fashioned snail mail. I’ll read each piece and then during our 30-minute Skype session, I’ll give feedback on what I’ve read. Depending on size of class I may not be able to comment on every student’s work; however students and teachers can learn a lot by listening to my feedback overall. $300.
- Poem Critique. Students will be extra-motivated to polish a piece of writing if they know an author will read their work. You can schedule a Skype poem critique session with me anytime throughout the year.Teachers collect a poem from each student and send it to me via good old-fashioned snail mail. I’ll read each poem and then during our 30-minute Skype session, I’ll give feedback on what I’ve read. Depending on size of class I may not be able to comment on every student’s work; however students and teachers can learn a lot by listening to my feedback overall. $300.
Free Skype Day 2019: April 25th.
Every year, I offer on free Skype day. During the year, I take reservations for time slots for free 15-minute Q-and A on a first-come, first-served basis.
To schedule a free Q&A session, please email me info (at) maryamato (dot) com from your school/library email address with all of the following info listed in one message:
- Preferred time (listing your time zone, please)
- Your name and your skype name.
- Name of school, snail mail address, and phone number of school or library
- Grade level(s), size of audience, and book(s) on which you’d like the Q/A to focus.
If your session is approved, you will receive guidelines via email and your school name will be added to this schedule.
- “The skype visit with Mary Amato was great and inspiring!” –Mary Litwinczuk, Weaver Lake Elementary, MN
- “We had a very successful Skype experience with Mary Amato. We did the two-part character creation workshop. We would like to schedule for the same time next February!” –Hope Preston, Gill St. Bernard’s School, NJ
- “This afternoon was incredible! All 70 sixth graders were riveted to the screen while you were talking. I can’t thank you enough for all the wonderful things you shared with us about your writing process. What a truly inspiring discussion. One really neat coincidence was that I had just shared my writing notebook earlier in the morning and then you shared yours. The connections were flying like wild fire…You have made a wonderful lasting memory for so many students today.” –Franklin, WI 6th grade teacher
- “My students loved her and I loved the way she subtly got across the message of ‘grit.’ She told students how important it is to revise written work… and how mistakes can be a fabulous opportunity for learning.” Patricia London, Media Specialist Avon Middle-High School, MA
- “I don’t like writing, but when Mary said that she did not like writing as a kid and now she is a author it encouraged me to want to learn how to write now. She let me know that I could be a great author some day.” – R.J.
- “The thing that really was a life lesson and really inspiring was the quote she said – ‘The only way you fail is by not trying.’ – Laykin
- “The Skype with Mary Amato taught me that if you jot something down you are more likely to remember it.” – Ava
- “It was a great experience to meet Mary Amato, and talk to her about her writing process! Skyping is a very fun activity. I would love to do it again. It is fun to see different ways authors, like Mary Amato, create amazing books. So all in all I loved Skyping with Mary Amato.” – Bailey
Want information about actual, in-person visits with me? Go to: Workshops.