If you are interested in signing up for individual Zoom/Skype lessons on creative writing, songwriting, or uke instruction, more info here.
For Schools and Libraries
- 30-minute workshops/presentations for a low fee to fit your schedule and budget.
- Monthly once/per week “Writer’s Studio” with Mary Amato for a low fee.
- One special free skype/zoom day each year for 15-minute Q&A sessions only.
- Book ordering with autographs can be arranged.
- Download my Checklist for Author Skypes.
30-min or 45-min Online Workshop/Presentations
(All include core objectives in Writing)
Reservations for paid zoom/skype sessions can be made at anytime. Email me with two preferred dates/times. I’ll invoice only after the session (no payment will be required if technical difficulties prevent the session from taking place).
- The Writing Process. I take students on a journey through the writing process. Where do ideas come from? How do writer’s notebooks, webs, and outlines help? Why is revising so important? 30 minutes. $150/$200.
- Writing a Picture Book. I share the story of how I turned a personal experience (being teased) from my own childhood into a picture book and a musical. I ask participants to try to figure out how and why I changed the facts of my own story to make a better book. I show my writing process by leading a collaborative story-creating exercise on the spot. Teachers receive a writing guide so that they can easily follow up this fun session. 30 minutes. $150/$200.
- The Writer’s Notebook. What is the difference between a writer’s notebook and a diary? I share my childhood diaries and my current writer’s notebooks with students and explain how and why I use my writer’s notebooks in the writing process. $150/$200.
- Creating Character. I’ll lead students through an improve exercise to get their imaginations in gear. Then I’ll take them through a pre-writing exercise. $150/$200
- Creating Character Part II (optional follow up) After taking my first Creating Character session, students will write a short piece and then we’ll reconvene online and students will share their work with me. $150/$200
- Songwriting. I share a rough draft of a song and then the final song and discuss the process, from brainstorming to revision.$150/$200
- “First Lines” Critique. Students will be extra-motivated to polish a piece of writing if they know an author will read their work. You can schedule a Skype critique session with me anytime throughout the year. First you schedule the Skype, then ask students to work on a piece of writing (fiction or essay), focusing especially on “hooking the reader” with a great opening. Teachers collect the first page from each student and send it to me via good old-fashioned snail mail. I’ll read each piece and then during our 30-minute Skype session, I’ll give feedback on what I’ve read. Depending on size of class I may not be able to comment on every student’s work; however students and teachers can learn a lot by listening to my feedback overall. $300.
- Poem Critique. Students will be extra-motivated to polish a piece of writing if they know an author will read their work. You can schedule a Skype poem critique session with me anytime throughout the year.Teachers collect a poem from each student and send it to me via good old-fashioned snail mail. I’ll read each poem and then during our 30-minute Skype session, I’ll give feedback on what I’ve read. Depending on size of class I may not be able to comment on every student’s work; however students and teachers can learn a lot by listening to my feedback overall. $300.
- “I am so grateful to have had this opportunity to work with Mary Amato. The songs students wrote with her are amazing. I have had experience with teaching composition to children and her approach simplifies things a lot in areas where they struggle the most.” Crystal Miller,grades K-4 music teacher, Heritage Elementary School, OH.
- “The skype visit with Mary Amato was great and inspiring!” –Mary Litwinczuk, Weaver Lake Elementary, MN
- “We had a very successful Skype experience with Mary Amato. We did the two-part character creation workshop. We would like to schedule for the same time next February!” –Hope Preston, Gill St. Bernard’s School, NJ
- “This afternoon was incredible! All 70 sixth graders were riveted to the screen while you were talking. I can’t thank you enough for all the wonderful things you shared with us about your writing process. What a truly inspiring discussion. One really neat coincidence was that I had just shared my writing notebook earlier in the morning and then you shared yours. The connections were flying like wild fire…You have made a wonderful lasting memory for so many students today.” –Franklin, WI 6th grade teacher
- “Mary Amato has inspired many writers with our children. She has reached inside us and encouraged us to not be afraid to write what is within us. Truly, I thank you, with goosebumps all over my arms.” Sue Thurn, Fourth Grade Teacher
Drummond Area School District
- “My students loved her and I loved the way she subtly got across the message of ‘grit.’ She told students how important it is to revise written work… and how mistakes can be a fabulous opportunity for learning.” Patricia London, Media Specialist Avon Middle-High School, MA
- “Mary Amato was so easy to work with. She was able to lead the kids through the songwriting process very smoothly and made it look easy and approachable – I am hopeful that many of them will continue trying their hand at composing and I think this project really made an impression on the students involved. I felt very inspired by the whole project and I love seeing what the kids were able to come up with.” Renee Keller, Education Coordinator, Lima Symphony Orchestra.
- “I don’t like writing, but when Mary said that she did not like writing as a kid and now she is a author it encouraged me to want to learn how to write now. She let me know that I could be a great author some day.” – R.J.
- “The thing that really was a life lesson and really inspiring was the quote she said – ‘The only way you fail is by not trying.’ – Laykin
- “The Skype with Mary Amato taught me that if you jot something down you are more likely to remember it.” – Ava
- “It was a great experience to meet Mary Amato, and talk to her about her writing process! Skyping is a very fun activity. I would love to do it again. It is fun to see different ways authors, like Mary Amato, create amazing books. So all in all I loved Skyping with Mary Amato.” – Bailey
Want information about actual, in-person visits with me? Go to: Workshops.