Teachers, librarians, reading specialists, and parents: you are the heroes. See my resources below and let me know what I can do to help you ignite passion for reading, for writing, and for life-long learning.
Prepare Students for Author Visit
- Mary Amato Info Sheet to photocopy and distribute, post on your school’s website, or share via email newsletter.
- Ideas for making the most of author visits.
Checklist for a Successful Skype
- Get ready for a Skype workshop or presentation with this Checklist.
Teaching Packet to Show Writing and Publishing Process
- A free packet that shows the step-by-step writing and publishing process including real examples of brainstorming, drafts, research, revising, and more.
Revision Examples to use in the Classroom
- From: Snarf Attack, Underfoodle, and the Secret of Life: The Riot Brothers Tell All
- From: Invisible Lines
- From: The Naked Mole-Rat Letters
- From: Edgar Allan’s Official Crime Investigation Notebook
Reader’s Theater Scripts
- The Chicken of the Family
- Edgar Allan’s Official Crime Investigation Notebook
- Good Crooks Book One: Missing Monkey!
Curriculum Connections, Book Discussion Guides, Activity Guides
- Lucy McGee Series page link with mp3s, karaoke recordings, videos, and more.
- Our Teacher is a Vampire and Other (Not) True Stories: Activity Guide; Writing Process Packet.
- Good Crooks: Common Core Teaching Guides for Book One and Book Two.
- *Guitar Notes: Resources (Discussion Guide, Interdisciplinary Exploration Unit, and more)
- General Songwriting: Resources (Songwriting Lesson Plan, Songwriting Notebook, Videos and more)
- *Edgar Allan’s Official Investigation Notebook: Interdisciplinary Exploration Unit (10 pages); Book Discussion Guide (1 page); Poetry Activities
- *Invisible Lines: Interdisciplinary Exploration Unit (9 pages); Book Discussion Guide (2 pages)
- Please Write in This Book: Activity Guide; Interview with Illustrator Eric Brace
- *The Naked Mole-Rat Letters: Reading Guide
- *The Word Eater: Reading Guide; The Word Eater Guide (by Melissa Henderson)
- Snarf Attack, Underfoodle, and the Secret of Life: Activity Guide
- Drooling and Dangerous: Activity Guide
- Stinky and Successful: Activity Guide
- Take the Mummy and Run: Activity Guide
*STEM and STE(A)M related novels and chapter books: Edgar Allan’s Official Crime Investigation Notebook (forensics, chemistry, poetry), Invisible Lines (mycology, biology, naturalist’s notebook, sketchbooks, visual arts), Guitar Notes (physics, music, songwriting), The Word Eater (scientific method, language arts), The Naked Mole-Rat Letters (biology, zoology, writing, psychology)
Follow my YouTube channel to receive news when I post a new video. Note: If you can’t access youtube in your classroom, see the teachertube link for each video that is posted with the entry. If you know of a better resource than teachertube, please let me know.
- Notebooks and diaries
- Expressing big emotions
- Capturing memories on paper
- Writing to find meaning
- The hard middle of the draft
- Ideas come from the world around you
- Rejection is an opportunity
- Finding time to write
- Dreaming and writing without being evaluated
- My secret: the WOW
- The WOW in action
- The natural flow
- Writing is like sports
- Making mistakes is liberating
- Improv revision
- Two strategies for reluctant writers
- Collaborative journals
- Exploring character through writing
- Songwriting about science
- Why we read
My DIY Videos
- My Want-Obstacle Spiral Exercise for revising a novel.
- My “big paper” process in revision.
- My Writer’s Notebook shows how I use my small notebooks in my writing process.
- Editing and Publishing Process (shows the editing and publishing process for Edgar Allan’s Official Crime Investigation Notebook)
- How to Hear a Character’s Voice (gives four tips for writing to hear your character’s voice)
- Writing Edgar Allan’s Official Crime Investigation Notebook (explains how one character took over story; shows writer’s notebook in use)
- Writing Invisible Lines (shows writing process, including webs, drafts, and revisions for Invisible Lines)
- Answers About The Naked Mole Rat Letters
- A Message for Kids (about turning off TV)
- Why Even Writers Need Math (showing how I use math in my professional life).
- Mary Amato Books Slideshow (slideshow of all book covers)
- How to Make a Dutch Baby (from Riot Brothers)
- Mushrooms on Display (shows images of mushrooms that inspired Invisible Lines)
- Stinky and Successful Acceptance Speech
How-to (Write) Handouts
- Tips for Keeping a Diary
- Tips for Keeping a Writer’s Notebook
- Tips for Parents to Encourage Creative Writing
- Tips for Teachers to Encourage Creative Writing
- Helping Writers to Get Started (and also tips to overcome writer’s block)
- Tips for How to Become a Writer
- How to Write an Author
- How to Write a Funny Poem
- See also: Writing Blog
- See also: Contests and Magazines that accept kids’ submissions
Bookmarks and Postcards:
- Please Write in This Book bookmark
- “Write” poem by Mary Amato bookmark
- Bookmarks for Schools created by parent volunteer. Quote bookmark. Book covers Bookmark. Write Bookmarks.
- Good Crooks Postcard Front and Good Crooks Postcard Back
- Display Materials:
You can use these to create author centers, bulletin boards, or posters.
- High Resolution Display Images (book covers and portrait shot)
- Foreign Editions
- Mary Amato’s childhood diaries and notebooks
If Mary Amato is coming to your school: Fun Author Info Sheet to photocopy and distribute, post on your school’s website, or share via email newsletter.
- Good Crooks Stick Puppets
- Poetry Writing Activities (from Edgar Allan’s Official Crime Investigation Notebook)
- How to Make Mini Books
- Mushroom Sculpture (art idea related to Invisible Lines)
- How to Make a Spore Print (science/art activity related to Invisible Lines)
- How to Go on a Mushroom Foray (science activity related to Invisible Lines)
- Mushroom Recipes (related to Invisible Lines)
- Dutch Baby Recipe from The Riot Brothers series.
Listening to Old Ghosts: The Influence of Wilder and Masters in Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery in Teen Librarian Toolbox (or in pdf form).
Performing in an Open Mic for B&N Teen Blog, September 2018.