I give voice to the funny, sad, messy, and wondrous stories of life, especially the stories of children and young adults. My mission: each book has both humor and heart.
When I write, I want my readers to:
- get up and dance
- want to read more
When I teach, I want my students to:
- learn how to reduce the anxiety
- realize that writing is rewarding
- discover strategies for success
- find joy in writing
I believe that the focus in too many schools is on using writing as a means to prove what has been learned about another topic. You know what I’m talking about: reports and “constructed responses.” Kids who haven’t had enough opportunities to write creatively can make the mistake that writing is boring or meaningless.
Real writing has meaning–whether it’s silly or profound. Writing is an exhilarating way to share that meaning.
Teachers, librarians, parents, and booksellers, you are my heroes! You’re the ones who are putting books into the hands of kids and saying, “Read this! You’re going to love this book!”
I want to help.
- Resources Index for my revision examples, readers theater scripts, videos on the writing process, and more.
- Info about School Visits
- Info about Skyping
- Special website for my books with music for ages 12 and up.